Thursday, November 20, 2008

Raging Bull

JAKE

You know, I'm not a philosopher or anything like that but I been around a little and the way I look at it is -- We're, all of us, lookin' for the same thing: a shot at the title. No matter what you wanta be... you wanta shot at bein' the best. Well, I had mine and it'll always be in the record books... it don't make no difference what happens to me from here on in -- I got my shot and that's a fact. Some guys weren't that lucky... like the one Marlon Brando played in "On the Waterfront" -- an up and comer who's now a down and outer. You remember... there was this scene in the back of the car with his brother Charlie, a small-time racket guy, and it went somethin' like this -- "It wasn't him, Charlie. It was you. You 'member that night in the Garden you came down my dressing room and said. 'Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson.' You 'member that? 'This ain't your night!' My night – I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark, and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palookaville. I never was no good after that night. It was like a peak you reach. Then it went downhill. It was you, Charlie. You was my brother, Charlie. You shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short end money... You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody -- instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it. It was you, Charlie."

STAGEHAND (O.S.)
Hey Jake, how you doing?

JAKE
How long do I have?

STAGEHAND (O.S.)
About five minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment