Monday, February 02, 2009

Barton Fink

.

ACTOR
I'm blowin' out of here, blowin' for good. I'm kissin' it all goodbye, these four stinkin' walls, the six flights up, the el that roars by at three A.M. like a castiron wind. Kiss 'em goodbye for me, Maury! I'll miss 'em – like hell I will!

ACTRESS
Dreaming again!

ACTOR
Not this time, Lil! I'm awake now, awake for the first time in years. Uncle Dave said it: Daylight is a dream if you've lived with your eyes closed. Well my eyes are open now! I see that choir, and I know they're dressed in rags! But we're part of that choir, both of us… yeah, and you, Maury, and Uncle Dave too!

MAURY
The sun's coming up, kid. They'll be hawking the fish down on Fulton Street.

ACTOR
Let 'em hawk. Let 'em sing their hearts out.

MAURY
That's it, kid. Take that ruined choir. Make it sing!

ACTOR
So long, Maury.

MAURY
So long.

MAURY
We'll hear from that kid. And I don't mean a postcard.

OLDER MAN
FISH! FRESH FISH!

LILY
Let's spit on our hands and get to work. It's late, Maury.

MAURY
Not any more Lil... It's early.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment