Monday, March 09, 2009

Short Cuts

.

MARIAN
we're just talking, right?

RALPH
Yes, Marian.

MARIAN
We're just talking! You want me to tell you the truth?

RALPH
That's all I've ever asked, Marian.

MARIAN
Okay. He kissed me. Does that satisfy you?

RALPH
Did it satisfy you?

MARIAN
Everybody was pretty far gone, as you may or may not know.

RALPH
Marian, I don't really need all this perspective, just the facts.

MARIAN
All right. All right, Ralph. Okay. Somehow... somehow the two of us were elected to go out and get liquor. We drove to the Foremost, which was closed... and then to Cappy's, which was also closed. In fact, everything was closed. I mean, I was beginning to wonder whether anything would be open... and all I could think of were those all-night supermarkets, and I wondered whether anybody would even be in the mood for a drink... if we had to drive around half the night looking for an open market. He was really drunk. I hadn't even realized how drunk he was until we started driving. And he was driving, he was driving terribly slow. He was all hunched over the wheel, and we were talking. We were talking about a lot of things... A lot of things that didn't make sense... I mean, about, uh, religious images... and about this about this painter, this painter named Larry Rivers. And, uh -And then he started talking about Norman Mailer... and about how Norman Mailer stabbed his wife in the breast. And he said he'd hate it if anybody did that to me. He said he'd like to kiss my breast. And then he pulled the car over to the side of the road, and... then he kissed me.

RALPH
How long?

MARIAN
How long what?

RALPH
How long did he kiss you? Then what?

MARIAN
Then he said, "Do you wanna have a go at it?"

RALPH
Jesus, Marian. "Do you wanna have a go at it?" [...] What does that mean, Marian? […] Did you touch him?

MARIAN
Touch him? Touch him? Okay, Ralph. Ralph, you wanna know what happened? He kissed me, and I kissed him back. And then we did it. We did it right there in the car.
He fucked me right there in the car. I was drunk. It didn't mean anything to me. I wish it hadn't happened, but it did. Is that all? Is that all you wanna know? Is that all?

RALPH
Yes, Marian. That's all.

MARIAN
Ralph, he didn't come in me. I swear to God, he didn't come in me.

RALPH
Okay.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment